Karalian Calendar System
The Karalian Calendar System was adopted upon the founding of the Karalian Empire. It was created by Rustiagon Karalius, and it was based on numerous different calendar systems that were used all throughout Vaikan history.
For the sake of article readability, a year will refer to the revolution period of Domum Regimen unless otherwise noted. A revolution period on Domum Regimen is 365 standard days, and a standard day is a period of 24 hours.
The Karalian Calendar System divides a set of broad eras marked by significant events that fundamentally changed the culture of the Vaikan species overall. Year length is based on Ucharpli's revolution period which is approximately 612 standard days. Upon the beginning of a new age, the year is reset.
- First Age of the Vaikan - The First Age has no definitive beginning as it covers the entirety of prehistory for the Vaikan. Unlike other ages, it counts backwards. The earliest fossil records of the Vaikan date back to two million years before the Second Age.
- Second Age of the Vaikan - The Second Age is marked by the widespread use of writing, stone tools and copper's conductivity. The Ten Realms of Ucharpli all saw their origins during this age.
- Third Age of the Vaikan - The Third Age marks the time of Ucharpli's industrial revolution.
- Fourth Age of the Vaikan - The Fourth Age marks the time when interstellar travel was first achieved. It lasted approximately 7,000 years.
- Fifth Age of the Vaikan - The Fifth Age marks the founding of the Karalian Empire, the first time since the sterility plague an interstellar Vaikan civilization has reigned. This age lasts just over 450 years.
- Sixth Age of the Vaikan - The Sixth Age marks the supernova of the Eye of Uszaroth which rendered half of the Karalian Empire uninhabitable. The Karalian Empire was reorganized as the Second Karalian Empire with its capital based in Jaran. It also denotes the post-Anathema era.
In older calendar systems, the months were based on the complex lunar cycle of Ucharpli’s two moons Revlis’maan and Der’maan. The Karalian Calendar simplifies it by having each month the same length.
The calendar consists of eleven months and 306 Ucharpli days or 34 Ucharpli weeks. Each month is 27 Ucharpli days long and each week is 9 Ucharpli days long with the final week being considered monthless.
The months are as follows:
The week following the end of Wintag is known as the Week of Rejuvenation. It is a time of festivities and winding down, representing personal transformation and a new start. Many Vaikan also use the time during the Week of Rejuvenation to undergo their hibernation cycle.
During the Third and Fourth Ages, Vaikan would celebrate specific holidays. However, they are not as significant to Fifth Age society going forward due to the massive social structure shifts that have occurred since then.
Enya 1 was often celebrated as the beginning of the new year.
Wintag 26th was referred to as Jamzeze Day, being recognized as the birth of Jamzeze. It was a time of celebration.
Akka 3rd was known as Reverence to Souls, a day where the souls of dead ancestors are honored. Death was not a time of mourning but rather a time of reverence and sincerity.
Szarock 10th is known as Yallvus Day, which celebrated the founding of Yallvus.