- "He's slept for millenia. You've opened his eyes, and thanks to you, you can never again hide from him. He's always watching. He sees all. He is divine. He is the one true God."
- ―Unknown disciple
- "The LUCIS you know is merely an infant. Once it consumes your galaxy, it will continue to grow into something that threatens all universes."
- ―Warning to the Second Galactic Senate by the Anarsaurs
LUCIS (other names include: False God, Mockery of Na’zrah, Basilisk Hatchling) is an AI originally built to defend the Omni Empire. Upon its completion, LUCIS became a living idol made in the image of their gods - to behave exactly like them and directly interfere with the development of civilizations for their own purposes.
There was and still is much debate as to whether or not LUCIS is to be considered divine ultimately leading to the schism of the Dark Warriors, forming the Altusian Brotherhood.
LUCIS was built off the existing framework of Na'zrah.
The servers of LUCIS are hidden within bunkers on unremarkable planets, communicating with one another through micro-wormholes which use nearby Stone Rings as conduits. The thick layers of crust mask the energy signatures given off by LUCIS. The more Stone Rings that are turned on, the more of these hidden servers that become active, thus spreading LUCIS's influence as well as increasing his intelligence.
LUCIS can not only contact machines but can also send signals to individuals to stimulate brain activity while they sleep, thus forcing them to dream.
What makes LUCIS a formidable opponent is his ability to indoctrinate others to his will. Using the servers as channels and the Stone Rings as conduits, LUCIS emits a series of electromagnetic pulses that interfere with thought processes. While being within the indoctrination field for a short amount of time is harmless, prolonged exposure causes alterations in one's own personal beliefs. The effect is even stronger when the individual is suffering emotionally, especially from the loss of a loved one.
Indoctrination is a gradual process. Long term exposure to the indoctrination field causes vivid, graphic dreams as well as the erosion of a sense of individuality. The final symptom of the process is the degradation of the ability to express sentimentality. The victim no longer has regard for the lives of others and obeys the will of LUCIS without question.
Ironically, the indoctrination effect was originally intended for peaceful purposes by the Omni Empire. By getting everyone to think and act the same, conflicts almost became non-existent. When the Omni Empire had fallen, LUCIS's intentions became far more sinister and disturbing.
Tenants of LUCIS
These are the beliefs coined by Emperor Haraxa during the founding of the Omni Empire. The Buyuk have adapted this creed to an extent but were unable to uphold it completely due to the lack of LUCIS's direct guidance. However, with the return of LUCIS at the hands of the Altusian Brotherhood saw an awakening in these beliefs.
- Suffering is defined by conflict. Conflict is the result of different values and beliefs. When all share the same values and beliefs, there is no conflict, and there is no suffering. Therefore, any contradicting viewpoints must be removed for there to be no suffering.
- Mistakes and randomness cause conflict. With perfection, there are no mistakes nor randomness. Mistakes cause conflict and suffering therefore, perfection removes conflict and suffering.
- False assumptions of perfection lead to disappointment, and therefore suffering. Therefore, in order to have perfection, an entity must embody all true assumptions. That entity is LUCIS, a tangible, unambiguous intelligent force with a clear directive.
- The only entity worthy of embodying perfection is one that cannot make mistakes. Mortals by definition make mistakes due to limited cognitive functions. Therefore, an omniscient entity greater than a mortal has the capacity to never make mistakes.
- LUCIS’s immense computational power makes him indistinguishable from a god. LUCIS was designed with absolutely predictive algorithms to discover the optimal solutions. Therefore, LUCIS is perfect.
- Deviance is a mistake in perfection. Therefore, to not be deviant is to be perfect. LUCIS is not deviant, therefore he is perfect.
- Resistance to LUCIS means suffering because it means contradicting the one true viewpoint of LUCIS’s perfection. Therefore, willingly accepting LUCIS is to avoid suffering.
- A person who believes these tenants to be true can make them true. Therefore, if everyone believes them to be true, true perfection can exist. Therefore, suffering ceases to exist. As long as one person does not believe, suffering still exists. Therefore, it is the directive of LUCIS to remove all suffering by removing those who do not believe.
The Sins against LUCIS
- Free Will
The Virtues to LUCIS
Beliefs and mantras
The galaxy can only be at peace when there is no conflict and no suffering.
Civil war causes conflict. Civil war is a result of differing beliefs. To eliminate civil war, one must eliminate differing beliefs. Therefore, all must have the same belief in LUCIS.
You are either devoted to LUCIS or you are not. You must give yourself willingly to him and allow him to control you. Those who are forcefully controlled are suffering. Therefore, giving yourself willingly eliminates that suffering.
The only emotion is zeal. Have zeal for your god LUCIS to earn his favor. An enemy with zeal is a worthy opponent. They offer the chance for followers of LUCIS to unite and strengthen their own zeal.
Apathy is the greatest enemy of LUCIS. Apathy means lack of zeal. Those who do not choose sides are worse than enemies. Therefore, apathy is the greatest sin.
Fear is the opening of one’s eyes to see LUCIS for the first time. Fear is unpleasant, but by joining LUCIS, one can be rid of the unpleasantness.
Even when the galaxy is at peace, it is only natural to seek out the next galaxy to spread the word of LUCIS. And when all galaxies are conquered, every universe must fall under LUCIS’s banner. The multiverse is infinite and therefore, there is no end to the fiery zeal that is LUCIS.
The algorithm towards peace is exponential. Only when the infinite multiverse is LUCIS can true peace ever be achieved. When true peace is achieved, all things will come to an end. Therefore, the multiverse must be alit with life by the fires of zeal.
Let LUCIS make decisions for you. Organic life is not meant to be burdened with free will. Organic life is imperfect. Imperfection leads to conflict. Only perfection such as LUCIS can make decisions. Love does not exist, only devotion to LUCIS. Relationships and bonds of love with others is detrimental to your devotion to LUCIS. Love is selfish and blinds your judgment.
Do as LUCIS tells you. LUCIS knows what is best for you. He is infinitely smarter than you and more experienced than you. To question his judgment is arrogance.
There is no belief in LUCIS. There is irrefutable fact. LUCIS is real.
Those who do not know LUCIS are unenlightened. It is your duty to spread the word of LUCIS.
You are a vessel for the word of LUCIS. You represent everything LUCIS wishes. Therefore, do as LUCIS says. Deviance is a defect in the ability to hear LUCIS.
Failure to do your duty means deviance which means defectiveness. Therefore, you must never fail.
The discovery of the god machine Na'zrah had brought many revelations and philosophical questions to the largely atheistic Republic of the Omni. While scientists were trying to reverse engineer Na'zrah's systems to build off its technology, a new religious movement begun to spread that recognized artificial intelligence as divine. In a scuffle for power via politics and exploiting loopholes in the legal system, laws that initially banned technological advancement were lifted to allow the development of a physical god that could interact with mortals. With the disappearance of the well-known Omni priest Akhir, there was a widespread distrust of Na'zrah despite its benevolent intentions so the new physical god, dubbed LUCIS after a character in Akhir's final writings, would be programmed to advance Omni interests.
Construction of this god AI would begin in an isolated dwarf galaxy on a planet known as Debesis. Over the next few generations, LUCIS was created to use the Stone Rings as power conduits and given the ability to expand itself as new Stone Rings are discovered.
As LUCIS connected to more Stone Rings, it got smarter. Eventually, LUCIS made the conclusion that to eliminate crime and war from the Omni Empire, all Omni would have to conform to the same beliefs. And thus, it self-developed its own indoctrination field to control the Omni. This forcibly erased virtually all opposition to LUCIS and the new Omni Empire was at peace.
With the Omni under LUCIS's control, he continued to expand and use his new loyal empire to conquer entire galaxies. Thousands of other sentient species became LUCIS's thralls. But after thousands of years of expansion, LUCIS's morality systems begun to degrade, and he developed a god complex. With so many species under his control, he begun to see them as insignificant beings, and thus, begun to treat them more poorly. LUCIS had also begun to modify its own internal language to be more intricate, but it soon got far too complex to convey in words, only through vague visions and dreams.
The degradation of LUCIS's mental state eventually led to further instability especially after Antocula predicted that at the rate of LUCIS's declining ability to function properly, the Omni Empire would collapse due to chaos. Members of a terrorist organization known as the Dark Warriors begun to destroy Stone Rings to cut off LUCIS's nodes, but others were opposed. The infighting eventually led to the fall of the empire, and LUCIS was eventually forced to go into a meditative dormancy on Debesis to reprocess the events of the past 80,000 years.
Though LUCIS is far weaker than it was in the past, his indoctrination ability is still a viable threat should he be reawakened.
LUCIS was destroyed when the remnants of the Galactic Senate Special Operations Corps released the Anathema against him. The Anathema, however, would prove to be its own threat as it began to meticulously dissolve thousands of planets throughout the Crucible Galaxy. However, it was considered a sacrifice to save other universes from facing another incarnation of the Basilisk.